The Non Zero-Sum Art Games was part of Culture Ireland’s ‘Culture Connects International Programme’, marking Ireland’s Presidency of the Council of the European Union. Produced by MART and curated by Matthew Nevin & Ciara Scanlan.
Documentation of the Lison Collaborations culminating in a Live Performance Event at Plataforma Revólver Lisbon.
Lisbon Artists: Vanessa Daws, Pedro Azevedo Katherine Nolan, Nuno Lacerda, Francis Fay, Rui Mourão,Eleanor Lawler, Marisa Teixeira, Aine Phillips and Raquel Carteiro.
live link to dublin
A Non Zero Sum Game is in game theory a situation where one decision maker’s gain (or loss) does not necessarily result in the other decision makers’ loss (or gain) – a win-win game. They generally have both competitive and cooperative elements. Players engaged have some complementary interests and some interests that are completely opposed.
‘The Non Zero-Sum Art Games’ was a program of exhibitions and performances focusing on the power that Art and people have to transform the socio/political psyche of the public in 3 European cities; Dublin, Lisbon & Athens all whom have recently hit by financial crisis.Two groups of 5 Irish Artists travelled to both Athens & Lisbon to work under rules, financial and time restrictions imposed by the curators.
- Artists are playing against each other to win a game with no results.
- Artists may not bring any materials or equipment with the exception of 1 Mobile Phone & 1 Laptop
- Artists will be given €100 to source materials / equipment in the host country.
- Artists must work with at least one local artist / resident.
- Artists will showcase their work on March 7th.
- All artworks will be destroyed when show is complete.